The Story of the American Indian
Written and Illustrated by Sydney E. Fletcher
Silver Medalist - 2010 Moonbeam Children's Book Awards
The Story of the American Indian was Sydney Fletcher’s final book. From the map showing the distribution of tribes across the United States, through the marginal sketches, the spot drawings, and the larger illustrations, this is an attractive volume aimed at teens and older children. The author approaches his subject in adult fashion, and covers an immense amount of material, both historically and chronologically. He shows the differences and similarities between various tribes; discusses the impact of whites on Native culture and lands; and delves into Aztec civilization, the ancient settlers of the Southwest, the Five Nations of the Iroquois League, the Plains Indians, the highly civilized Cherokees, the “Diggers” of the Northwest, and numerous other First Nations. A bibliography and index are included.
This classic is the book on Indians. This fascinating account of the life of the Indian in America is filled with facts on the customs, dress, warfare, transportation, food, etc., of every major group of Indians. Also included are the life stories of great Indian heroes—Sitting Bull, Osceola, Crazy Horse, Geronimo, Pontiac, Cochise, and more. Lavishly illustrated throughout by one of America’s great Western artists.
Included are stories of the principal Indian tribes of North America:
- The fleet, stern Iroquois who laid the groundwork for our democracy
- The Pueblos and how they protected their apartment-house homes in the desert from the raiding Navahos
- The Mound Builders and their disastrous cult of death
- The seed-gathering Paiutes of the West Coast
- The Sioux who at a moment’s notice could get their whole camp on the move to follow a herd of buffalo
- The Cherokee and the Trail of Tears
- The Indians of the Northwest who fished the wild rivers for salmon
About the Author
Sydney E. Fletcher, known for his wonderfully detailed drawings of Native American culture, is the author of The Big Book of Cowboys, The Cowboy and His Horse, The Big Book of the Wild West, Learn All about Real Cowboys, and The Glory of Our West.